Well beaten

The ‘Loc welcomed current Scottish Cup holders Heriot’s to “Shawholm” today in the first round of this year’s competition.  In a side showing no fewer than six changes for Saturday’s league match at “Glenpark”, the ‘Loc were well beaten in a match, delayed by damp run ups after overnight rain, that lasted – all in – less than 42 overs.  Inserted by the visitors after the Edinburgh side’s skipper won the toss, the ‘Loc got off to the worst possible start, Muhammad Chaudhry attempting to hood the first ball he faced from Kinghorn-Gray, and only managing to sky one straight up, Neill taking the simplest of catches trotting back a few steps at slip.  2 for 1.  Calum James was the other opener, and he was now joined by Hunnain Sohail.  They’d only manage to add 5 runs however before they were separated, Sohail (2) being bowled by Kinghorn-Gray to give the Heriot’s opening bowler his second wicket.  7 for 2 was then 17 for 3 when Balawal Fahim (2), batting at four, was trapped by that man Kinghorn-Gray again.

At least some measure of calm then ensued: James and Sufian Ali trying to rebuild.  Both looked in control of matters as they added 22 for the fourth wicket, James (16) chipping Watt to short cover to give the Scotland international his first wicket of the afternoon.  From this point it was really a bit of a revolving door: Andrew Mallichan (30, Jobanjit Singh (4), Hasan Rafiq (0), and Saad Salim (6) all coming-and-going relatively quickly.  Rafiq, of these batters, might, however, feel slightly hard-done-by, his departure seeing him smack a Shean full toss straight back at the bowler, only to see the Heriot’s man hang on to a ridiculous grab.  There was a last wicket partnership of 15 that saw the ‘Loc push their total past 60, then 70.  However 72 all out would be the eventual total posted.  73 to win.

After a mid-innings turnaround that would put many a quick change artist to shame, Mallichan and Ahmed-Raza Hanif had the new balls in their hands, and Heriot’s reply was underway.  Proud and Brown were the visitors’ openers, and they raced out of the traps.  They’d put on 50 in fact before they were separated, Brown tamely chipping Mallichan to short cover, where Fahim held on.  This would be the only wicket to fall in the second innings however, and Heriot’s strolled past the finishing post inside twelve overs.  Proud finished unbeaten on 31, Watt, at three, on 14*.  [Scorecard]